Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to be a certain age to tutor?
Yes. You must be 21 years old or over to enter the prison.
2. If I am not (or no longer) a Bard student, can I still tutor for BPI?
Yes! We accept tutors from all parts of the Bard community (including graduate students) and the surrounding community. Community tutors should email Delia Mellis at email@example.com.
3. What is the time commitment for tutoring?
Tutors are required to commit a 6-hour block of time once a week. Tutoring sessions last 2 hours. The 6 hours stipulated time covers the driving distance of BPI’s furthest facility.
4. Do I need a car to tutor?
No. It would be helpful, but not required.
5. What subjects are tutored?
If your area of expertise is in the humanities, you will become a writing tutor. We offer subject specific tutoring in math, the sciences, (except Chemistry) and foreign languages (Spanish, Chinese, and German). There is no tutoring in music or studio arts.
6. Will I enter the prisons alone?
No. Tutors enter in groups of two or more.
7. How can I find out more about tutoring for BPI?
Come to our information sessions! Or you can email us your questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org